Yes it is a thing, and if it isn’t then it should be. I guess this does depend a lot on where you live and what you do and of course while it is possible to be a housewife and to be happy, I think a lot of women aren’t. If you live in a big city then it is more likely that it is not the norm for women to stay at home, therefore your support network is going to be limited.
What gets me the most is the monotony of it all; doing the same things every day over and over. I don’t have the solutions to this problem, but I can make a few suggestions:
- Get a hobby. Now the most successful housewives will have made cooking or cleaning their hobby. Good on you if you can do that! I personally haven’t managed it. I have started writing as my hobby, it gives my brain something other that cooking and cleaning to think about.
- Exercise. Making getting healthy a hobby can also help. I know a lot of people who are obsessed with healthy eating and exercise, almost to the point where it is an addiction. As far as addictions go, it’s not a bad thing to be addicted to.
- Socialise as much as possible. Say yes to every invite and make your own opportunities to socialise, invite people over etc. If you are having trouble with this then I recommend…
- Volunteering. It’s a great way to meet new people, and you also get a sense of satisfaction knowing that you have helped someone.
- And if you’ve tried all this and you really do hate it, then get a job. Life is too short to be unhappy all the time. You can use some of your wages to pay for childcare and a cleaner if you have to. Just do what it takes to be happy.
That’s all I have for you today. If you do feel down sometimes, just know that you are not the only one.
Enjoy your day:)